by Christine Smith • 2020-11-20 17:16:10 • Proven solutions
Best MP4 to M4V Converter for Windows/Mac (Catalina Included) Wondershare UniConverter (originally Wondershare Video Converter Ultimate) is an all-in-one video tool to deal with media problems. It can help you to convert video and audio in any format to another among 1,000+ supported formats, MP4/M4V/MKV/MOV/AVI and other popular video formats. M4V Converter Plus for Win Most powerful Windows video converter to convert iTunes rentals and purchases with 20X faster speed and 100% lossless quality. Learn more $69.95 $44.95 iTunes Audio Converter for Win.
- The new update of iTunes M4V Converter Plus Windows provides 20X faster speed to convert iTunes M4V videos with advanced acceleration technology. Choose 'Same as Source for MP4'/'Same as Source for MOV' for enjoying output file with lossless quality. Besides, all audio tracks like AC3 Dolby 5.1 audio, and subtitles would be preserved perfectly.
- M4V format is developed by Apple for iTunes and other Apple devices. If you're a Mac user, you may feel nothing about it. However, if you're using Windows, or you want to play M4V files on your TV or other devices, then you need to convert M4V files to other common video formats like MP4, MOV, WMV or others.
If you're looking for an M4V converter to convert iTunes M4V file to any other formats for easy playback, You're on the right page. Videos in M4V formats are not compatible for viewing on several devices such as Android Smartphones and Tablets, Xbox, Mac Yosemite, etc. So you need to change M4V files to a widely-used video format like MP4. In this article, We have listed a range of information about M4V converters as well as online M4V converters. Read the following parts to learn more details.
Part 1. What's M4V
1. General Knowledge about M4V File and M4V Format
M4V file format is a video container that Apple developed. It is very similar to the MP4 file format but is occasionally protected by DRM copy protection. This means that to play a protected M4V file, the computer has to be authorized via iTunes with the account that was used to purchase the video. On the other hand, if the M4V file is not protected, it actually can be played by other video players by changing the file extension, but only if it is converted to another format. This is extended from iTunes video format, developed by Apple, and therefore, like many products in the suite of Apple devices, has a unique appeal.
2. Why You Need M4V Converter
M4V files tend to be the best format for Apple devices, but for other players, you may find that you need to convert the files. Or, if you are not using a device with your particular iTunes account, you may also need to convert the files. If you have purchased lots of M4V files, you may need to convert them. So how do you find the best M4V converter? What's a good M4V converter?
3. What's A Good M4V Converter
The best converters can convert DRM M4V videos, whereas many other converters cannot. However, you will also need to convert video files and save them as MP3, WMA, M4B, AAC, and so on. Additionally, it needs to be compatible with your devices.
Part 2. Best M4V Converter for Windows/Mac to Convert iTunes M4V Files Easily
Wondershare UniConverter (originally Wondershare Video Converter Ultimate) is the best video converter to convert M4V files easily on Windows/Mac. It supports over 1000+ video and audio formats for input and output. You can also edit videos with trimming, cropping, rotating, and other changes. Wondershare UniConverter can also download online videos and convert to other formats, transfer the converted files to your devices like iPhone, iPad can also be done easily. Read the following parts to know more features and steps.
Wondershare UniConverter - Best M4V Converter Windows/Mac
- Convert iTunes M4V files to MP4, AVI, WMV, FLV, MKV, and other 1,000 formats with several simple steps.
- Edit M4V files with trimming, cropping, rotating, adding watermarks, editing subtitles, and more others.
- Add M4V files from iTunes or other devices like iPhone, iPad easily via a USB cable.
- 30X faster conversion speed than common converters with unique APEXTRANS technology.
- Burn M4V videos to DVD with free menu templates and playback on TV.
- Download or record videos from YouTube and other 10,000+ video sharing sites.
- Versatile toolbox: Add video metadata, GIF maker, cast video to TV, video compressor, and screen recorder.
- Supported OS: Windows 10/8/7/XP/Vista, macOS 11 Big Sur, 10.15 (Catalina), 10.14, 10.13, 10.12, 10.11, 10.10, 10.9, 10.8, 10.7, 10.6.
Steps to Convert DRM-Free M4V Files with Best M4V Converter on Windows/Mac
Step 1 Add M4V Files to Convert
Launch Wondershare UniConverter on Windows/Mac after download and installation. Click on the button under the Video Converter section to select and import your M4V videos.
Step 2 Choose Output Video Format
Click on the Output Format: or the Output Format: option to open the drop-down format list. Choose the Video tab and select any format you want, also the video resolution. Optionally, you can edit M4V files before conversion by clicking on the edit icons under the video thumbnail.
Step 3 Convert M4V Files
Finally, click on the Start All button to convert M4V files to MP4 or any other common video formats without losing quality. The converted files can be found under the Finished tab.
Part 3. Other Desktop M4V Converters You Should Know
1. BROS M4V converter
With this M4V Converter, it is to convert m4v to AVI, ASF, MP4, MOV, FLV, DivX, Xvid, MPEG1, MPEG2, MKV, and even HD video formats like MOV HD, ASF HD, AVI HD, DivX HD, H.264 HD. Remove unwanted video playing region with exact top, bottom left, and right values via the editing features. Batches of AVI video files can be inserted into AVI Video Converter, drag and drop is supported. The software also allows you to save output converted video files to any folder on the local computer. Pause and stop m4v conversion at ease. Video Brightness, Contrast, and Saturation can be adjusted freely to the best effect. Although this download is free, you get what you pay for. It’s only compatible in English with Windows 7, making the versatility limited.
2. M4VGear DRM Media Converter
- Compatible with mac and windows, there are select features available for Mac and Windows separately. For Windows, you can:
- Convert iTunes videos at very fast speed
- Unlock DRM from iTunes Rental & Purchase
- Keep multilingual audios, subtitles & 5.1 audio
- Get lossless DRM-free video in the output format
- And for Mac: 20X Faster speed DRM removal on Mac
- Preserve original 1080p HD video quality
- Strip DRM from iTunes Rentals & Purchases
- Keep subtitles, multi-language, and AC3 audio
It’s available in 8 different languages, but each copy is almost $50! There are certain limitations to this, although it’s pretty affordable for paid converters.
3. Any Video Converter Pro
Any Video Converter Pro is a little more affordable, with pretty much the same benefits. You can purchase it for about $40 and convert DVDs, CDs, and videos to various formats like AVI, WMV, MP4, MPEG-1, MPEG-2, FLV, SWF, MKV, WMA, MP3, 4K HD videos and etc. for devices such as iPhone (iPhone 6s/6s Plus), iPad (iPad Air, iPad Pro, iPad mini 4), and other devices like Android phones (Samsung Galaxy S6, Note III, HTC, Sony Experian Z2), Windows Phone, PSP, Xbox One and so on. However, it’s compatible with windows over apple, which really limits its functionality.
4. Noteburner M4V Converter Plus
Noteburner M4V Converter Plus is another paid windows product. It offers a lifetime version of technical support and updates and protects against piracy issues because Noteburner M4V Converter Plus is an excellent M4V DRM removal tool for Windows users to remove M4V DRM. With this DRM M4V Converter, you can legally remove DRM from iTunes M4V so that you can enjoy iTunes movies on non-apple devices without iOS restriction. However, you have to purchase a separate version for Mac, and since it’s almost $50, you lose some versatility here.
Part 4. Top 3 DRM Free Online M4V Converters
1. Online UniConverter
Online UniConverter (originally Media.io) is the best free M4V converter online to convert DRM free M4V files to any other format and vice versa. It supports most popular video formats including MP4, MOV, WMV, and more. You can use it totally free without any watermarks or ads on the output video.
- Free of cost
- Need no download and installation
- Convert DRM Free M4V files only
- The conversion speed depends on the network connection
- Convert files under 100MB each
Zamzar is another video online converter for DRM Free M4V files. It works from your Windows/Mac browser without any download and installation. You can convert M4V files to FLV or other formats online easily.
- Free to use.
- Easy and clear interface
- Only support DRM free M4V files
- Slow converting speed
- File size limitation
This online tool also provides online, free solutions to convert DRM free M4V files easily. You can simply upload an M4V file and choose the output format it provided, finally starting conversion soon.
- Available free of cost
- Easy to use
- Does not offer good video quality
- Ads on the website
Drawbacks of Online M4V Converters:
Some online M4V converters may be available free online, but there are certain drawbacks of using such unauthenticated products over the internet. Some problems you may have with online converters include:
- Computer Device Safety: The major concern in this regard is the security of your computing device, software products, etc. The online converter programs may contain hidden virus files that may enter your computer system during the conversion process. Most of the time, providers aim to steal confidential data and financial statements from the users’ system. Additionally, they can also cause problems with the functioning of your PC hardware and other expensive items.
- Time Consumption: The online M4V converters are very slow and take much time to complete the conversion process. Some of them do not offer the necessary editing tools necessary for processing your video and audio files. Since the entire process takes place online, you will not be able to disconnect your internet connection and end up spending a lot of data during the process.
- Poor Output Quality: After employing hard efforts and much of time on the internet, you may not be able to achieve the quality output video. The converted video file may appear hazy with poor audio performance.
Wondershare UniConverter will be the most recommended iTunes M4V converter for your Windows/Mac to convert M4V videos to any other format and vice versa. Free download and have a try on this all-in-one video converter.
by Christine Smith • 2020-11-20 17:18:23 • Proven solutions
It is probably hard for you to watch M4V file on Android phones, Windows PC, PSP, Xbox or edit the M4V video in iMovie, Final Cut Pro, since the M4V format which is used to store movies, TV series, and music videos in the iTunes Store can only be compatible with iTunes and QuickTime. To solve this problem, you can simply convert M4V to MP4 with the video converters recommended in the article. MP4 is the most popular video format supported by many players, video editing tools, and game devices. Turn M4V to MP4 will enable you to get the most out of your M4V files.
Part 1. How to Convert M4V to MP4 Easily on Windows/Mac
Wondershare UniConverter is the most recommended M4V to MP4 converter for both Windows users and Mac users. It can convert iTunes M4V to MP4 or other 1,000+ video formats with video editing feature like trimming, cropping, editing subtitles, etc. No matter what kind of M4V videos you have, Wondershare UniConverter can help you convert with super fast speed and full quality output. It also has many additional functions like downloading media files by pasting URL, transferring files from PC/MAC to iPhone/iPad/Android devices, etc. Follow the detailed steps below and change M4V to MP4 on Windows/Mac easily.
Wondershare UniConverter - Best M4V to MP4 Converter for Windows/Mac
M4v Converter Plus Download
- Convert purchased M4V movies to MP4 and other popular formats without transcoding.
- Play your iTunes M4V videos on any devices easily and smoothly.
- Optimized presets for easy playback on iPhone, iPad, Samsung, and any other devices.
- Powerful video editing features like trimming, cropping, rotating, adding subtitles and effects, etc.
- Burn M4V to DVD with built-in menu templates, creating a professional DVD.
- Convert files at up to 30 times faster than common free and online converters.
- Download/record online videos from over 10,000 sites like YouTube.
- Versatile toolbox includes fixing video metadata, GIF maker, casting video to TV, video compressor, and screen recorder.
- Supported OS: Windows 10/8/7/XP/Vista, Mac OS 10.15 (Catalina), 10.14, 10.13, 10.12, 10.11, 10.10, 10.9, 10.8, 10.7, 10.6
Easy Steps to Convert M4V to MP4 on Mac with Wondershare M4V Converter:
The steps below are all based on the Mac version, and if you're a Windows user, you can also follow the same steps as both of them have similar interfaces and same functions. Firstly, you need to download and install Wondershare UniConverter on your Mac/Windows.
Step 1 Load M4V Files to the M4V to MP4 Video Converter
Launch Wondershare UniConverter on your Mac/PC, and click on the button to add M4V files you need to convert. Or simply drag and drop the M4V files directly to the program window. Multiple M4V files can be added here. After all video items are imported, you can preview them on the main interface.
Step 2 Choose MP4 as Output Format
Click the drop-down icon of Output Format: at the top-right corner of the main interface to open the output format list. Select MP4 from the Video tab, also choose the video resolution you need. If you want to set the parameters for audio or video for a more enjoyable playback experience, just click the Create button to access the setting window. Bitrate, Frame rate, resolution, channel are freely adjustable.
Step 3 Edit M4V Videos (Optional)
Wondershare UniConverter also provides easy editing features to allow you to touch up your output video instantly. By clicking the icons under the video thumbnail image, you can crop, cut, trim M4V files and apply effects, add watermark, or subtitles easily. You can skip this step if you don't want to make any changes to your video.
Bonus Feature: You can also use this M4V converter to convert M4V to DVD format by clicking the DVD Burner tab on the top of the interface. And then, click the Editing icon on the right pane to select your favorite menu template. In this way, you can create a professional DVD.
Step 4 Convert M4V to MP4 Easily
When all settings are satisfied, just hit the Start All button to convert M4V to MP4 on Mac. This program is quite efficient, and you can find the converted videos in the Finished tab. That's it! Now you can enjoy your M4V files anytime and anywhere.
Part 2. Free M4V to MP4 Converter for Windows/Mac
Free M4V to MP4 Converter:Wondershare Free Video Converter
Wondershare Free Video Converter allows you to free convert M4V (DRM protected not supported) to MP4 in a very short time. It assists you to convert to tons of video and audio formats free and easy, making them compatible with all devices with great quality. You can also make video customization with built-in video tools. However, like all free software, the output video will get a watermark, and the converting process may take a longer time.
Easy steps to convert M4V to MP4 free on Windows/Mac:
Step 1: Download, install and open Wondershare Free Video Converter on your Windows PC. Click on the Add Files button on the main interface to import M4V files you need to convert free.
Step 2: Choose MP4 as output format from the Video tab, which can be found by clicking the Convert all files to: drop-down list.
Step 3: Click on the Convert or Convert All buttons to start converting M4V files to MP4 free.
1. Free and easy to use.
2. The most common video output formats are supported.
3. Multiple functions can also be founded here.
1. It only converts no DRM protected M4V files.
2. It doesn't have the 'Convert To Preset' inbuilt.
3. The output video quality isn't that satisfactory.
Part 3. How to Convert M4V to MP4 online, free
You can use the free online M4V to MP4 converters as well if you only have small M4V files to convert and don't hurry to get the files as the online conversion will take a rather long time to finish the conversion. There are many M4V to MP4 converters online, and we have picked the most popular and top-rated ones.
1. Online UniConverter (originally Media.io)
The most popular M4V to MP4 converter online is Online UniConverter (https://www.media.io/). This free and simple online tool allows converting M4V files to several popular audio and video formats. A maximum of 2 files at a time can be added for conversion. There is no need for any download or installation as it works directly from your Windows or Mac system. You can download your converted M4V files directly or save to Dropbox easily.
Steps to convert M4V to MP4 online, free using Online UniConverter:
Step 1: Open Online UniConverter (https://www.media.io/) from your browser. Click on the Drag & Drop or Hit to Add File button to browse and import M4V videos from your system.
Step 2: At the Convert all files to: tab, choose MP4 from the Video list.
Step 3: Click the CONVERT button to start the online M4V to the MP4 conversion process. You can see the DOWNLOAD button after the conversion.
This is one of the top-rated online conversion tools that support an array of formats, including M4V to MP4. The program has a simple interface to make it easy to use for non-technical users as well. You can either add the file from your PC or can download it online at the interface directly. The converted file can be downloaded or can also be requested to send on your email id for safety reasons. A maximum of 250MB files can be added to the program for conversion.
Steps to convert M4V to MP4 online using Convert.files:
Step 1: Open Convert.files on your PC browser. Click Browse to add the local M4V file from your PC. You can also give an online link for downloading the same.
Step 2: Choose MP4 under the Output format tab.
Step 3: Check the box for sending the downloaded file on email if desired. Click the Convert button to start the conversion process.
3. Cloud Convert
This is a feature-packed tool to convert M4V to MP4 online, free. Over 200 formats are supported by the program for conversion. There is support for editing the audio and video codecs, video aspect ratio, resolution, and other parameters. You can also trim the unwanted parts of the video using the tool. Batch processing and folder monitoring are additional features. The conversion speed is good with decent quality output files. Files for conversion can be added from PC, URL, Dropbox, Google Drive, and OneDrive.
Steps to convert M4V to MP4 online with Cloud Convert:
Step 1: Launch Cloud Convert on your PC browser. Click Select Files to import M4V videos to be converted.
Step 2: Click the edit icon for making any changes to the video parameters if needed.
Step 3: If needed, you can save the converted file to cloud storage. Click the Start Conversion button to begin with the M4V to the MP4 conversion process.
Limitations to use M4V to MP4 online tools:
There is no doubt that online M4V to MP4 converter is pocket-friendly and easy-to-use, but these programs have a number of limitations and cannot compete with the quality and features offered by the professional conversion tools.
- Only convert non-DRM protected iTunes M4V files.
- Online tools have a limitation to the maximum file size that can be added for conversion at a time.
- Without additional features and functions like editing, batch conversion, and others.
- The quality of output files using online conversion is quite basic.
- Online tools are completely dependent on the internet connection for their working and conversion speed.
Part 4. How to Convert M4V to MP4 with VLC
VLC is one of the most popularly used media players that supports all types of platforms and OS. This open-source and flexible player supports a wide range of video formats playback and in addition to this, it also works as a decent video conversion tool. So if you want basic M4V to MP4 conversion without using any third-party software, VLC Media Player is a good choice.
Steps to convert M4V to MP4 using VLC Media player:
Step 1: Launch the VLC Media Player app on your PC. Open the drop-down menu at the Media tab and choose Convert/Save.
Step 2: Choose the File tab and click Add to import M4V videos that you want to convert from your PC.
Step 3: Click the Convert/Save button at the bottom-right corner. A new Convert window will open. Under Settings, choose MP4 from the Profile list as the desired output format. To change video codec and other file parameters, click the edit icon next to the output format. Under Destination, click Browse and choose location and file name on the PC where you want to save the converted file.
Step 4: Click Start to begin M4V to the MP4 conversion process.
Limitations to Use VLC Convert M4V to MP4:
- Only support non-protected M4V file conversion.
- Does not support batch processing for converting multiple files at a time.
- The number of supported output formats is limited as compared to professional tools.
- The conversion speed is not very fast.
Part 5. FAQs About Converting M4V Files
Question 1: Can I just rename the file extension from M4V to MP4?
It may work sometimes, but it's really risky. The original file structure may be broken, and you won't get the exact video quality you had before. So, you need to use a solid video converter to convert files with high quality output and ultra-fast speed.
Question 2: Why convert M4V to MP4, any more information?
Limitations of M4V:
M4v Converter Plus For Windows
M4V is a MPEG-4 file extension used for videos downloaded or bought from the Apple iTunes store, including movies, TV shows, or music videos. It's similar to an MP4 file, but may be copy-protected using Apple's FairPlay DRM copyright protection. For items downloaded from iTunes, you can also play them with QuickTime or VLC besides Apple products, like iPhone, iPod, iPad, etc., but for items purchased from iTunes, you can only play them in iTunes or iOS devices thanks to the DRM authorization.
The popularity of MP4:
MP4 is the official filename extension for MPEG-4 Part 14. It's most commonly used to store digital video and digital audio streams, especially those defined by MPEG, but can also be used to store other data such as subtitles and still images. It can be supported by a variety of digital players, like iPod, iPhone, PSP, Archoes, Xbox, iRiver, Zune, video editing tools like iMovie, Final Cut Pro, Adobe Premiere Pro, mobile phones like Android, Blackberry, HTC, etc.
Question 3: Can I use Handbrake to free convert M4V to MP4?
Handbrake can't remove DRM as is noted on its page, so converting DRM protected M4V to MP4 will be impossible.
Want to get the best output quality in MP4 format for your purchased M4V videos? Just free download Wondershare UniConverter and follow the steps in Part 1 to have a try!