There is too choose between a default or named instance. You can install only one default instance, but more named instances.
Understanding SQL Server 2005 Editions
13 - Click 'Finish'. SQL Server 2005 Express installation is complete! 14 - Now, install SQL Server Management Studio. Run the 2nd file that was downloaded earlier (SQLServer2005SSMSEE.msi) and click 'Next'. 15 - Accept the license terms and click 'Next'. 16 - Enter the desired name and company name and click 'Next'. 17 - Click 'Next'. SQL Server Management Studio 2005. That said, if you have SSMS 2005 installed, all you need to do to make DTS work is to download and install the following packages from these components: Microsoft SQL Server 2000 DTS Designer Components – package name: SQLServer2005DTS.msi. SQL Server Management Studio also provides Transact-SQL, MDX, DMX, and XML language editors for editing and debugging scripts. Management Studio is a completely standalone product, not tied to any specific version or edition of SQL Server, and no longer requires licensing of any kind.
There are five different editions of the SQL Server 2005. Three of them have 64-bit native versions, the rest is 32-bit only.
Sql Server 2005 Management Studio free. download full Version
Largest, 32-bit and 64-bit, supports the largest online transaction processing (OLTP)
32-bit and 64-bit, small and medium enterprises
Small Enterprises, no limits on size of users, for small servers
Sql Server 2005 Management Studio Download For Windows Xp 32 Bit
Same as Enterprise without production license
MSDE for SQL Server 2005; free (also for clients access); replacement for Access
Some hints to remember Features
Express; Workgroup; Standard; Enterprise
Number of CPUS: 1;2;4;unlimited. Think of a formula such as CPUs of a Edition Previous Edition *2 expect for Enterprise.
Memory 1GB;3GB, Limit based on OS, Limit based on OS
64-bit support: Express and Workgroup can only have 64-bit support via WOW
Max DB Size: Express has 4 GB limit
Partitioning is only supported by Enterprise Edition
Database Mirroring is supported by Standard and Enterprise
Fail Over Clustering is supported by Standard(two Nodes) and Enterprise
PDF Rule: Remember Partitioning, Database Mirroring, Failover P 1 only one edition supports
Log Shipping: All but Express
Management Studio All but Express
Database Tuning Advisor: Standard and Enterprise
Full Text Search: All but Express
SQL Server Agent Job Scheduling: All but Express
Best Practives Advisor: All
Notification Services Standard and Enterprise
Service Broker: All (Express Subsriber only)
Merge Replication: All (Restriction on Express and Workgroup)
Transactional Replication: Restriction on Express and Workgroup
Oracle Replication: Enterprise
Web Services (Http Endpoints): Standard and Enterprise
Report Server: All
Report Builder All but Express
BI Development Studio Express and Workgroup have Report Designer only
Enterprise Managemnet Tool: All but Express
Native Support for Web Services: Reporting Services for Express and Workgroups only
Analysis Services for Standard and Enterprise only
Rules of thumb:
- Express Edition is limited nearly everywhere: It has only Report Server and Best Practices Analyzer and in some only a feature as subscriber only
- Enterprise Edition has everything
- Standard does not support: Oracle Replication and Partitioning and has some Restrictions on Fail Over clustering:
- Workgroup: hardest to Remember: It does not include the features to maintain large databases
How to Install MS SQL Server on Windows
The source should be downloaded on https://www.microsoft.com/en-us/evalcenter/evaluate-sql-server-2016.
The Minimum System Requirements
Windows 32-bit System (Minimum Vista with SP2 or Server with SP2 installed), Intel or other supporting processor with at least 2.66 GHz Speed (My personal suggestion ), RAM should be 2 GB or more (if you want to run several applications such as Visual Studio with this server) ”The more you have, the more it will be better”.
[Note:32-bit Systems do not exceed more than 3 GB RAM, if you use 4 GB then it will utilize only 3 GB RAM]
Here we go
Is .Net Framework 3.5 or with SP1 or 4.0 installed? If not then here is the official link (I don’t like unofficial, mind you… ). Read the instructions,when downloading and installing and make sure it has been installed.Now , its time to install your SQL Server Database.
- Right click on the SQLEXPRWT_x64_ENU.exe or SQLEXPRWT_x86_ENU.exe SQLEXPRWT_x64_ENU.exe and click ” Run As Administrator”
- The installation wizard will appear and it will ask for several options.Set your desired language.Choose that option which indicates
- “New Standalone SQL Installation or Add Features ” and click Next to proceed. A small auto-check will run and when it gets approval for all the pre-requisites, you will be asked to use the evaluation version or if you have bought a key then enter this and use the full version which has whole lots of benefits.Click Next
- Accept Terms and conditions and check Updates checkbox (recommended) and click Next.
- If updates are present then you won’t get any error. Otherwise, an error will be shown and you have to click next in order to install the updates (That’s why I was telling that enable auto update man…. ). If you have the connectivity issues, check the firewall and allow for both inbound and outbound traffic in the allow rule for this type of application. After the errors have been removed, you have to select the features to install.
- Everything after this will go smoothly. You will be asked to add either the default instance or the named instance .There is nothing to get worried about those instances sort of creatures.
- “Take the easiest example. We have the main SQL Server Database which resides in my server computer and it is called manager-pc.The other employees of my company have specific needs from this server .
- I assign the instances of my Server as follows:
- Employee1 has been assigned the instance from my Database Server as manager-pc/instance1 for writing queries etc. Employee2 has been given more rights in the form of manager-pc/instance2 instance and so on.
- If someone has to show the reports from the instance of the server assigned to Employee2; he has to address the instance2 of manager-pc. So basically, he needs to refer to manager-pc/instance2.
- If someone has to connect to the default instance, he needs to go to manager-pc directly. The instances are really great from preventing data corruption or intrusion,hacking, SQL injection related issues Just relax.It’s simple :)”
- The disk space requirements screen is quite obvious to show you the required space as well as available
- Now, here comes the screen asking you to configure the network settings.I will suggest you to assign account to each service on individual basis as it is recommended by the Microsoft. However, I use my own server’s administrator account for all the services. It is up to you to set the services to start manually or automatically.It needs some study material from here when making this decision.Click the Next button to proceed
- The Database Engine Configuration screen gives you the option to choose the type of authentication. Here ,we have the default user login id sa which is kept intact and we choose Mixed Mode and assign a good password . Click Next.
- The next screen will take you to either change the path of the Data Directory or keep it unchanged and click??? Click what? obviously NNNNN…Next
- In order to store the unstructured data in your database such as images or files etc, you should enable filestream by checking it and then click Next button
- Let the Multidimensional Data Mining option checked and click Next
- Error Reporting should be checked for descriptive explanation about the condition of the errors, if they occur in your server. this helps us to send the errors to Microsoft directly and yes; they help.
- Installation configuration rules auto-checking screen appears and you have to……………………..You have to do nothing dear but click Next after the check completes.
- Click Next on Install screen
- Installation ……….. sit back and relax. After successful completion ; click Next. Here, you may have to do one more thing ! Shout out lower and say “Oh my” if the installation gets failed!!!!!
- Installed… congrats
- After installation, check to see whether the required services are working ; SQL Server Configuration Manager is there to help.
On Linux and Mac OS
Since March 2016, the software is available on Linux.
Then, a Docker version has allowed it on Mac OS.
SQL Server Management Studio (SSMS) is the official administration interface for Microsoft SQL Server. Its 2008 version can be downloaded on https://www.microsoft.com/download/confirmation.aspx?id=7593.
# Which SQL Server Management Studio Version to Use
Until recently, which version of SQL Server Management studio you used wouldmost likely depend on which version of SQL Server you were using. The toolcame packaged with each new release of SQL Server and was only updatedwhen a new SQL Server version was released. So if you were using SQL Server 2014,it came with SQL Server Management Studio 2014 and that was most likely all you'd ever use.
However, with the release of SQL Server 2016, SSMS was available separatelyand began receiving updates outside of major SQL Server releases. Management Studionow has its own versioning that is independent of the newest SQL Server release. This hasallowed for more rapid development and increased the ease of using the best SSMS version,even when working with older servers.
# The Latest and Greatest
As of October 20, 2020, the latest official version of SQL Server Management Studio is 18.7.
The latest version of Management Studio will always be available at the Download SQL Server Management Studio(opens new window) page.
Starting with version 17, SSMS releases are the first SSMS products to be based off of Visual Studio 2015+,which bring a modernized user interface and icon set, much more stability, and fasterstartup times. Version 18 iterates off of this and is based on the Visual Studio 2017 shell.
Left: Management Studio 17, Right: Management Studio 16
Regardless of the edition being used, SQL Server Management Studio only comes in one flavorand boasts backwards compatibility with almost all features from versions 2008 to 2019, including SQL Azure support. For this reason, it is highly recommended to use the newest version possible to take advantage of new features and more stability through code fixes that are being continually released.
So even when working with older SQL Server versions, upgrading SQL Server Management Studioto the a 18.x version is both supported and recommended.